Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg distilled her calls-to-action from her much-viewed TED talk and 2011 Commencement address at Barnard College in her forthcoming book, Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead, scheduled for release 11 March 2013.
She reviews why women in the U.S. hold few of the top leadership roles in organizations and government, and offers greater detail on her much-discussed encouragement to:
- Think Big
- Sit at the table
- Don’t leave before you leave
- Lean in
- Be bold, be unafraid
- Choose the right partner
- Seek challenges and take risks required to pursue ambitious goals.
Sandberg draws on current findings from Stanford University’s Clayman Institute for Gender Research and other top research organizations to offer practical advice on negotiation techniques, mentorship, building a satisfying career, setting boundaries, and replacing the goal of “having it all” with a more achievable target.
Sandberg is currently establishing The Lean In Foundation in collaboration with the Clayman Institute and corporate partners, to provide:
- Online community to share insights and tools,
- Online lectures by recognized thought leaders to enhance critical career skills,
- Career discussion circles for women, men, and organizations, so they can deploy women’s talents to solve society’s most challenging issues.
-*How far can you “lean in” without losing your balance?
- Self-managed career discussion circles
- “Think Big, Play Big” at Cisco’s 2013 Women in Technology Forum: