Better job performance is associated with eight capabilities known as “The Big 8”, according to Korn-Ferry International’s George Hallenbeck, in the Leadership Architect® Library of Competencies:
• Dealing with Ambiguity,
• Innovation Management,
• Strategic Agility,
• Motivating Others,
• Building Effective Teams,
• Managing Vision & Purpose.
He analyzed more than 1500 ratings on this 360 degree assessment, and found that just 12% of executives possessed four or more of “The Big 8.”
None of these organizational leaders demonstrated more than six of these competencies, though they consistently showed more than individual contributors.
This suggests that although executives demonstrate more of critical leadership capabilities than non-leaders, the vast majority have significant room for professional development.
Executives and individual contributors who had more of “The Big 8” competencies also had more of “Career Staller and Stopper” behaviors.
Bold individuals who demonstrate persistance may effectively execute, but may run afoul of key stakeholders and influencers.
Self-Awareness and Self-Management, identified in Daniel Goleman’s framework for Emotional Intelligence, may be a key to balancing between the Big 8’s performance enhancing impacts while mitigating their potential drawbacks in stalling careers.
-*What have you found the most important job competences among organizational leaders and those preparing for future leadership roles?
- “Derailing” Executive Personality Measures Predict Leadership Mishaps
- Four Career Trajectories: Linear, Expert, Spiral, Transitory
- Managing “Triadic Managers” and Navigating Office Politics by Becoming a Little Like Them
- Leadership Qualities that Lead to the Corner Office?
- Performance Excellence linked to Recognizing, Preventing, Correcting Failures — and Coaching
- Training or Mentorship to Build Leadership Skills?
- Leadership “From the Inside Out”
- Executive Presence: “Gravitas”, Communication…and Appearance?
- Leadership Roles Reduce – Rather than Increase – Perceived Stress